Wednesday, July 2, 2014

T u r m e r i c ........ " The Secret Skincare Ingredient "


When I was a younger I was lucky enough to be a teen who never had any struggles with my skin.  Besides a few freckles on my face, I never had to deal with visits to the dermatologist, use skincare medication for acne or wear tons of makeup to hide blemishes. As the years passed, however, and adulthood led to...children, long hours at work, never ending bills and consistent stress, my skin seemed to revert back to a problematic, pimply period that never had existed before. The worst part was that simple acne would linger for days, turn cystic and eventually leave a scar. I can still remember having a terrible acne breakout many years ago and having to attend a formal graduation party.  A Pakistani woman who I have known for many years came up to me and very nonchalantly asked me what happened to my face because..."it used to be so pretty."  
Really? I was so put off by her comment and wanted so badly to let her know that her awful outfit didn't make her look fat.  It was her fat that made her look fat.  Needless to say, I chose to bite my tongue because I knew my skin would eventually clear up but her cankles were there to stay. During those couple of weeks, I really couldn't stand looking at my face in a mirror and contemplated wearing a brown paper bag or burkha to hide my face but I needed a better, less bizarre looking option.




So here I was....a 30-something year old now having to deal with bouts of hormonal acne.  And if that wasn't  bad enough, my once cute freckles began multiplying because of sun exposure.  Zits AND freckles...real sexy. My $6.99 drugstore Pond's was no longer helping and more likely adding to my clogged pores so I started looking for something better. And although large department stores like Neiman's carried many diverse lines, I inevitably would get stopped passing by the Creme De La Mer counter by a pushy salesperson wanting me to stop and look at the overpriced skincare line.  To which my response would sarcastically be, "I know your $450 Ultra-Rich Creme contains a very secret Miracle Broth to help with the signs of aging so I may possibly be back in about 20 years when I start looking like an old hag. Right now I'm simply looking for zit creme....thanks anyways!"

I decided to get serious about taking care of my skin so I began researching medical-grade lines that could treat both acne and hyper pigmentation. Enter Obagi. Only sold to physicians, this advanced treatment line was formulated to target everything from Acne, Age Spots, Roseacea, Hyperpigmentation, Loss of Skin Elasticity, Sun Damage plus lots more.

Unfortunately, I had a few issues with Obagi. First of all, the price - $300.  It may possibly be worth the price if it actually worked but I truly hadn't met anyone who felt as if it had.  And the last problem was there are way too many steps.  I could barely take my contacts out at night and now I had to do six extra steps morning and night? 

1. Gel Cleanser
2. Toner
3. Clear (Skin Bleaching)
4. Exfoderm (To exfoliate)
5. Sunfader 
6. Sunscreen SPF 35. 

Phew!...Even typing that made me exhausted. I tried it for a few months and my acne went away. However, I had to stop because my skin became too dry and sensitive. FYI, Obagi didn't seem to help my hyper pigmentation.  When  my acne reappeared, one of my girlfriends mentioned she used Proactiv religiously and it truly helped her acne and skin significantly clear up so I decided to give it a try.  


I went to the mall searching for a Proactive kiosk and found the product line to be reasonably priced.  I was, however, smarter than all those goobers who ordered it by calling the 1-800 number because they unfortunately would be receiving incessant products every 30 days for the rest of their lives, unable to cancel their order until a death certificate was sent to the accounting department at GuthyIRenker. Kidding, of course! Yes Proactiv helped for awhile too but then my skin seemed to become resistant to the ingredients such as benzoyl peroxide and glycol acid. 

Turmeric!


So I searched the web and viewed lots of videos onYouTube to see which natural ingredients women used in their facial masks and what conditions they helped.  I was really surprised that so many of these ladies used Turmeric Powder as the main ingredient to help with acne and dark spots. Also referred to as Curry Powder (or Haldi), this bright, orange-yellow spice is used very often when cooking both Pakistani & Indian cuisine. I never truly realized the wonderful benefits that Turmeric had on the skin!

I Love Chicken Curry!

________________________________________ The Powerful Benefits of Turmeric on Skin!

-Turmeric is known for its amazing ability to reduce acne due to its antiseptic & antibacterial properties which fight off pimples and breakouts. 
- People with oily skin and scars/spot left from acne can expect to see 
lightening benefits from using turmeric on a regular basis.
- An active constituent of Turmeric is "Curcumin" which has extremely
 powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Turmeric will help normalize uneven skin tone/pigmentation. 
- Many people say that they were able to stop wearing foundation after
 using turmeric masks regularly on their face.
- It's important to know that Turmeric will stain your skin temporarily yellow 
but it will fade once thoroughly cleansed.


" My Timeless Turmeric Mask "
~ I used the following ingredients 
to make my Turmeric Mask:
1). Turmeric    2). Plain Yogurt    3). Lemons    4). Honey   
5). Vitamin E capsules    6). Biotin    7). Besan Flour
~ I first steam my face for about 
 10 minutes to open the pores!
~ Add One teaspoon of Turmeric 
to the yogurt!
~ Add 2 tablespoons of yogurt!
~ Add a few teaspoons of Honey!
~ Squeeze in Half a Lemon!
~ Cut tips of 2-3 Vitamin E 
gel caps & add liquid!
~Blend together with a makeup brush 
and apply liberally to face!
"  Yes.....It's Yellow "

~ Let it dry completely for 20 Minutes &
 gently remove with a warm, wet towel.
Repeat Every 2 to 3 weeks!
_____________________________________________________ "There are no ugly women.  Just a lazy ones."
         - Helena Rubenstein

No comments:

Post a Comment